St. Francis Winery, 2007, Côte Du Sonoma, Red Wine, Sonoma County

What a temptress of a Rhône blend.  And quite daring, frankly, with 88% Syrah, and the remaining 12% spread evenly between Grenache, Mourvedre, and, yes, Viognier.  Nice balance, from aromatics to the last ripples of the finish.  In the classic Rhône style, this could pair with a number of dishes, from mild to medium spicy.  Juicy raspberry and cranberry, with spice, phantom-like pepper, chocolate, and black licorice nudges; musical, majestic, with a resplendent visual tonality in the glass.  And for $35/bottle, hilariously reasonable.  This wine not only has the depth and voice of a classic Rhône blend, but reflects the House of Big Reds’ 100% Sonoma County voice, with its rhythmic palate presence, evenness.  The Côte Du Sonoma, or “Côte” as the Frannie employees call it, is for people who truly relish not only 100% Sonoma County wines, but the reason St. Francis Winery is known to be the mecca for grandiosely crafted reds.  Get a couple bottles, and drink now till 2015 (in my opinion, and I round down when it comes to aging, so…).  Sip, sip …

1S Score: 94

Published by

mikemadigan

Writer/Blogger - bottledaux.com

One thought on “St. Francis Winery, 2007, Côte Du Sonoma, Red Wine, Sonoma County

  1. thanks Mike for visiting my blog. I too love a good red. We are very fortunate in South Australia in having so many fine wine regions. I hope my future blogs will live up to expectations. You may enjoy a few of the past ones, some of which I’ll be removing over the next week

Leave a Reply